Neck LIFT (CervicoPLASTY)
Often the most troublesome part of the aging face is not the face at all but the neck. It’s hard to think of anything worse than baggy, loose, wrinkled neck skin and neck bands. Unfortunately, there are few non-operative options available that even come close to solving this problem. As many people feel their neck ages faster than any other part of the face, a neck-lift may be the answer. This procedure is often performed in collaboration with a facelift and other facial rejuvenation surgery (brow-lift, eyelid-lift). Only minor fat under the chin can be addressed non-operatively with Kybella.
Do I need surgery?
- My neck looks so old. I find myself wearing turtlenecks, high collars and neck scarves to hide the banding and extra skin folds in my neck.
- My face and cheeks still look good for my age.
- I do not have jowls and my jaw line still looks good.
- A smooth, youthfully shaped neck.
PROCEDURE & RECOVERY
Pre-operative markings are made to identify muscle banding in the neck requiring re-draping. Incisions are made around the ear and along the back of the hairline behind the ear. Skin fat flaps are elevated off of the underlying neck muscles. In many cases the muscles are sutured, realigned and suspended to recreate a youthful neck angle. In some cases, fat under the neck is also partially sculpted to improve the shape of the neck. The skin flaps are then re-draped and excess skin removed to address wrinkles.
- Location: Skin Care Centre (if minor) or Cambie Surgery Centre
- Anesthesia / Sedation: Local anesthetic (oral sedation) or general
- Duration: 1-2 hours
- Length of stay: Outpatient (same day discharge)
- Bruising: Common, fades by 2-3 weeks after the surgery.
- Swelling: Mild to moderate, resolves by 2 weeks.
- Pain: Mild to moderate. Often only 2-3 days of prescription medications required.
- Numbness: Minimal. Typically resolves completely, but temporary numbness may persist for 9-12 months in the surgical area.
- Dressings: Moderate. Molding dressings are required for 3 weeks after surgery.
- Return to Work: 3 weeks
- Return to Exercise: 14 days